Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi tonight announced that his government would entrust the case to the CBI for a thorough probe into the recent happenings along the Assam-Nagaland border that apparently had its roots in the kidnapping of two youths allegedly by Naga miscreants on June 26.
Gogoi made this announcement in a meeting with a joint delegation of seven organisations at his official residence here on Friday evening, adding that the Assam government would hand over the case to the CBI to unravel the truth.
He also revealed that the Assam government would urge the Supreme Court for an early settlement of the vexed border issue. The Local Commission headed by a retired supreme court judge that was appointed by the apex court has been already submitted its report.
An official press note issued by the CM’s office tonight said the first priority of the Assam government was to restore peace in the affected areas and to send back the displaced people to their homes. Gogoi also told the delegation that the probe instituted by his government at the Additional Chief Secretary level and a judicial inquiry would also help to find out the truth behind the incidents, including police excess, if any.
Gogoi also assured the delegation that security measures would be in place, including permanent police pickets, in the affected areas to instil confidence among the people living along the inter-state border. The Chief Minister said that adequate rehabilitation measures, including food, medicine would be provided to the affected people. He also assured the delegation that his government would provide job cards under MGNERGA to the affected people so that they could eke out their livelihood.
Te seven organisations that met him today included AJYCP, ATASU, ATTSA, AASAA, SC Students’ Union, all of which had earlier in the day withdrawn an indefinite Golaghat bandh called two days ago.