A day after the CBI announced that it will not be filing a chargesheet against the five accused at this stage of investigation, the family of the two sisters in the alleged Badaun gangrape case cried foul and vowed to take the matter up before a court. This, while the parents of the accused expressed relief over the turn of events.
“The CBI is not filing a chargesheet presently against the five accused who are in custody because forensic tests have ruled out sexual assault. However, we have not a given clean chit to anyone. Though rape has been ruled out, murder has not. We are investigating the matter,” CBI spokesperson Kanchan Prasad said.
The five accused — three brothers and two police constables — who are currently in prison, are liable to walk out on bail as their 90-day term ends this week.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The father of one of the victims said, “How can the CBI rule out rape when the accused publicly confessed to the crime in the village when they were caught? Secondly, the clothes of my daughter and niece that the CBI claim they based their decision of on, could have been anybodys. I have no proof that they were my daughter and her cousin’s clothes. Thirdly, why did the agency delay the second autopsy when we had categorically asked for one? The river water rose and submerged their graves by the time the CBI came down, making it impossible to exhume the bodies.”
He said he was going to take the matter up to the courts.
Meanwhile, the parents of the three accused appeared almost ignorant about the CBI decision. The boys’ father said that it was God’s grace that truth had prevailed. He said that he did not know what his sons had really done. “Yes, someone read out to me the CBI’s announcement yesterday. But I do not know how to go about the bail application and I will have to sell one of the two buffaloes I own for money I will need to get my sons out,” he said.
The victim’s father said he had thrown the cell phone recovered from the elder of the two victims’ in a fit of rage and that the pair of slippers his family handed over to the CBI much later in the case had been lying at the foot of the mango tree all the while.
He also claimed that he had transferred Rs 1 lakh to the account of the lone witness because he was in need of financial help.
The CBI had earlier raised doubts over these inconsistencies.