Friday, Oct 31, 2014

Badaun gangrape: Girls’ family to challenge CBI conclusion in court

Mother of the accused brothers at her home in Badaun’s Katra Sadatganj village on Tuesday. ( ( Source: Express photo by Praveen Khanna ) Mother of the accused brothers at her home in Badaun’s Katra Sadatganj village on Tuesday. ( ( Source: Express photo by Praveen Khanna )
Written by Sarah Hafeez | Badaun | Posted: August 27, 2014 1:58 am | Updated: August 27, 2014 8:17 am

A day after the CBI announced that it will not be filing a chargesheet against the five accused at this stage of investigation, the family of the two sisters in the alleged Badaun gangrape case cried foul and vowed to take the matter up before a court. This, while the parents of the accused expressed relief over the turn of events.

“The CBI is not filing a chargesheet presently against the five accused who are in custody because forensic tests have ruled out sexual assault. However, we have not a given clean chit to anyone. Though rape has been ruled out, murder has not. We are investigating the matter,” CBI spokesperson Kanchan Prasad said.

The five accused — three brothers and two police constables — who are currently in prison, are liable to walk out on bail as their 90-day term ends this week.

The father of one of the victims said, “How can the CBI rule out rape when the accused publicly confessed to the crime in the village when they were caught? Secondly, the clothes of my daughter and niece that the CBI claim they based their decision of on, could have been anybodys. I have no proof that they were my daughter and her cousin’s clothes. Thirdly, why did the agency delay the second autopsy when we had categorically asked for one? The river water rose and submerged their graves by the time the CBI came down, making it impossible to exhume the bodies.”

He said he was going to take the matter up to the courts.

Meanwhile, the parents of the three accused appeared almost ignorant about the CBI decision. The boys’ father said that it was God’s grace that truth had prevailed. He said that he did not know what his sons had really done. “Yes, someone read out to me the CBI’s announcement yesterday. But I do not know how to go about the bail application and I will have to sell one of the two buffaloes I own for money I will need to get my sons out,” he said.

The victim’s father said he had thrown the cell phone recovered from the elder of the two victims’ in a fit of rage and that the pair of slippers his family handed over to the CBI much later in the case had been lying at the foot of the mango tree all the while.

He also claimed that he had transferred Rs 1 lakh to the account of the lone witness because he was in need of financial help.

The CBI had earlier raised doubts over these inconsistencies.

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping