Loni police has booked 51 street fruit vendors for allegedly beating up two policemen who were engaged in decongesting a traffic jam at Loni intersection.
Loni Circle Deputy Superintendent of Police Anil Yadav said the incident occurred yesterday when Sub Inspector Sukhpal Singh and Constable Sanjeev, a part of Leopard Mobile Patrol Party, were trying to decongest a traffic jam.
The policemen warned the fruit vendors to shift their handcarts back to clear the road, following which an argument started between the two sides, Yadav said.
- Caught on camera: UP cop fights with home guard, suspended
- BMC proposes 190 zones for unlicensed vendors
- Police and locals clash in Deoband after death of fruit vendor
- Bus ferrying convicts attacked,2 held
- Flesh trade: minor girl rescued, UP doctor,3 others arrested
- Encroachments by fruit sellers new traffic bottleneck
Both police officials nabbed a fruit seller identified as Shahid and asked him to accompany them to the police station.
Meanwhile, several other vendors had assembled on the spot and they brutally thrashed the two policemen, he said, adding, they also started pelting stones at the duo.
Upon receiving information, SHO Loni police station Raj Kumar Yadav reached the spot with police force and lathicharged the agitating mob to disperse it, he added.
An FIR has been registered against 21 identified persons and 30 unknown persons for the attack.
Deputy SP Yadav said police is raiding hideouts of the vendors and the culprits will be arrested soon.