Former BJP chief and senior party leader Bangaru Laxman passed away on Saturday in Hyderbad after a period of prolonged illness.
Laxman, who was to turn 75 on March 17, was confined to a wheelchair for the past 12 years. He was not keeping well for some time due to a kidney ailment and died of cardiac arrest at 5 pm in Yashoda Hospital.
BJP’s president from 2000 to 2001, Bangaru was the target of Tehelka’s first sting operation in 2001 and was shown accepting a wad of currency from journalists posing as arms dealers,resulting in a major loss of face for the then NDA government.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Post the Tehelka sting, he was convicted by a court in 2012 under the Prevention of Corruption Act and was sentenced to four years in jail. A minister of state for Railways in the NDA government, Bangaru was later released on bail and was undergoing treatment in Hyderabad.
Born in a Dalit family in Andhra Pradesh, he joined politics at an early age and was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 1996. He was also jailed during the Emergency in 1975.
Laxman Bangaru is survived by his wife Susheela Laxman Bangaru, who was a BJP member of 14th Lok Sabha and four children.