Echoing the words of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Hurriyat chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani has said the Kashmir issue can be “resolved only on humanitarian grounds”.
“I remember, (in) the political situation we are going through, for the first time we had heard from an Indian Prime Minister that Kashmir issue will be resolved on humanitarian grounds. Perhaps, he was the first person, first personality who talked about humanitarian grounds,” Geelani said in reference to Vajpayee’s famous “insaniyat ke dayirae mein (within the ambit of humanity)” statement. “But they only remained words,” Geelani added.
The Hurriyat leader was speaking at a blood donation camp organised by his party at Hyderpora Wednesday. A large number of youth turned up at the camp and as the numbers grew some of them had to leave without donating blood. Geelani promised to organise another blood donation camp for these youth after Ramzan — the Muslim month of fasting that starts later this month.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Geelani said all issues can be resolved only on humanitarian grounds. “Issues could be resolved only on the humanitarian grounds…but today no effort is being made in this regard.”
This is for the first time that Hurriyat chairman has praised Vajpayee’s statement for the solution of Kashmir issue. Geelani has been a severe critic of New Delhi especially the NDA-led governments.