Raising the hopes of RJD chief Lalu Prasad’s defence team, the Jharkhand High Court on Monday quashed four fodder scam cases against former Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra. The CBI is using the same witnesses and evidence in the four cases as the ones in which Lalu is facing trial.
Both Mishra and Prasad were sentenced to five years’ imprisonment on October 3 last year for a fraudulent withdrawal of Rs 37.7 crore from the Chaibasa treasury in 1994-’95.
A special CBI court in Ranchi had rejected Prasad’s petition that the four fodder scam cases pending against him in Jharkhand be quashed. At that time, the court had cited the High Court’s rejection of a similar petition by former RJD legislator R K Rana, who has been convicted in three of the seven cases against him.
What gives Prasad’s lawyers hope is the fact that the High Court seems to have returned to an earlier stand, taken in the case of the current officiating Chief Secretary of Jharkhand, Sajal Chakrabarty. “When Chakrabarty moved the High Court to quash three cases against him, the court gave a judgment in his favour. Later, when R K Rana moved a similar petition, it was rejected. We were confused by this anomaly and decided to wait and watch,” said Prabhat Kumar, who appears for Prasad in the High Court. He said that Prasad would move a petition soon. “The CBI lawyers have accepted in court that the same charges and evidence will be used against Laluji in all four pending cases here,” he added.
The High Court’s judgment in the case of Mishra is also a vindication of CBI Director Ranjit Sinha’s stand that all cases against Prasad be dropped. The matter was referred to the Attorney General, with the Solicitor General eventually opining that it was a matter to be decided by the courts.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
While the case against Prasad in a Patna court is still in its preliminary stages, those against him for withdrawals from the Deoghar, Ranchi, Chaibasa and Dumka treasuries are progressing in Ranchi — Prasad recorded his statement in the Deoghar case on July 14.