Union minister for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Vijay Kumar Singh on Friday said floods in Assam is “nothing new”.
“Flood condition is nothing new to Assam. I have been dealing with floods in Assam since 1970 onwards,” Singh said at a press conference here.
On his ministry’s role in finding a way to handle this perennial problem, Singh said “DoNER has got no role in flood control. It is a job of Ministry of Water Resources. DoNER funds are not enough even to contribute to type of things that the state require.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“I can be initiator. I can be catalyst. I can assist. I can suggest. I can push. But if you are thinking that the DoNER is going to do flood control, I am sorry that is not done. We have to go to the charters,” the Union minister said.
He said DoNER’s role is to carry forward development work in the field of infrastructure, education, health sector, employment and skills among others.
When pointed out that the flood creates huge challenge and destroys a lot of developmental works, Singh said “It is not being stopped but flood causes a damage to life and property. So lets separate it out. Lets not get just stuck on floods… Flood is not just development. Flood is only a part of the issue.”
He said silting of Brahmaputra is a big problem and nobody gave a serious thought on this over the years.
Singh also said he will recommend the Water Resources Ministry to conduct an in-depth study on Brahmaputra considering various aspect.