Union minister for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Vijay Kumar Singh on Friday said floods in Assam is “nothing new”.
“Flood condition is nothing new to Assam. I have been dealing with floods in Assam since 1970 onwards,” Singh said at a press conference here.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
On his ministry’s role in finding a way to handle this perennial problem, Singh said “DoNER has got no role in flood control. It is a job of Ministry of Water Resources. DoNER funds are not enough even to contribute to type of things that the state require.
“I can be initiator. I can be catalyst. I can assist. I can suggest. I can push. But if you are thinking that the DoNER is going to do flood control, I am sorry that is not done. We have to go to the charters,” the Union minister said.
He said DoNER’s role is to carry forward development work in the field of infrastructure, education, health sector, employment and skills among others.
When pointed out that the flood creates huge challenge and destroys a lot of developmental works, Singh said “It is not being stopped but flood causes a damage to life and property. So lets separate it out. Lets not get just stuck on floods… Flood is not just development. Flood is only a part of the issue.”
He said silting of Brahmaputra is a big problem and nobody gave a serious thought on this over the years.
Singh also said he will recommend the Water Resources Ministry to conduct an in-depth study on Brahmaputra considering various aspect.