Today, India celebrates its 68th Independence day. Having been free for two thirds of a century, it definitely feels good.
There is hope, there is optimism, there is a pervasive feeling of youth. Yes, there are problems, but there is also the confidence that we will somehow tackle those issues.
It is for this very reason that we at Express LOL think that India is the coolest 68-year-old around. Here is a positive, tongue-in-cheek look at how different we are, as a country, from the average 68-year old:
1. We, as a country, have a longer memory than any elephant. Even next-door aunties remember the board exam marks of every neighbouring child in the last 10 years.
2. Yes, WhatsApp and smartphones might be like alien technology to some older Indians. But generation of more useful things — like power — is something that different generations come together to achieve.
3. Every year, quietly but surely, potholes have made themselves more and more scarce on our roads. We look forward to the day when there will be fewer potholes than tigers in India.
4. Yes, we get sick, but we also have some of the cheapest healthcare in the world; as soon as we figure out how to make it universally available, we’ll be unbeatable.
5. Finally, we’re getting younger and younger. In 8 years, we celebrate our diamond Independence anniversary. May we will be the coolest 75-year-old then!