Five persons of a family, including two children, were burnt alive in a lift in an apartment that caught fire here past Thursday midnight.
The mishap happened when the Siriya family staying on the first floor in the ill-fated Ajinkya Plaza building in Gokulpeth area of the city decided to use lift to get down to the ground floor after the security guard, Lakhiram, came rushing in to inform them about fire breaking out in the parking area of the building.
The only male member in the lift, Prashant Siriya (33), reportedly opted out of the lift to avoid overcrowding and asked the other members to get down at the ground floor. When the lift reached the ground floor, it malfunctioned and didn’t open. By the time, the floor was engulfed in fire. The five persons could not come out and were charred to death.
Prashant, meanwhile, reportedly jumped out of an apartment window.
Names of the deceased were Prashant’s wife Ragini Siriya (32), son Nirosh Siriya (3), mother Salila Siriya (65), sister Shruti Mali (30) and her daughter Shahana (2).
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The building has 14 flats – 12 of them occupied. Rest all in the other apartment managed to escape to safety themselves or with help from the3 Fire Brigade.
Reason for the fire is suspected to be a two-wheeler, which is believed to have caught fire first. The Fire Brigade, however, didn’t confirm the same.
Some questions, however, were left unanswered. When the standing instruction is not to use lift in case of emergencies, why did the Siriyas choose to use it? When the fire had broken out in the parking lot, why did they decide to go downstairs in the lift?
Deputy Commissioner of Police Avinash Kumar said, “all these issues are under investigation. The man is in deep shock and we haven’t asked him any questions yet.”