He straddles two of the most critical portfolios — defence and finance — in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Cabinet. For Arun Jaitley, the de facto second-in-command in the government, it’s a tightrope walk.
Jaitley will interact with a select audience at the latest edition of Express Adda at Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai and perhaps throw light over the art of the impossible.
A series of interactions with people at the centre of change, Adda has earlier featured actor Shahrukh Khan, World Chess champion Viswanathan Anand, then BJP president (and now Home Minister) Rajnath Singh, Financial Times commentator Martin Wolf and Aadhaar architect Nandan Nilekani, among others.
Jaitley, 61, has his task cut out. At Raisina Hill, an unenviable task of managing the contradiction of his government’s ‘pro-business and pro-poor’ image and at home, the task of not bringing defence and finance files.
As finance minister, he has to restore the investment cycle and push growth to generate jobs for the millions entering the labour market, and also keep inflation at bay. In defence, he has to kickstart procurement, re-equip the forces with arms, ammunition and also boost their morale.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Jaitley was a cabinet minister in Vajpayee’s government having held portfolios such as law, justice and corporate affairs and commerce and industry. He will be in conversation with The Indian Express Consulting Editor Coomi Kapoor and National Affairs Editor P Vaidyanathan Iyer.