Here’s a list of five exclusive stories from The Indian Express that you must go through before starting your day:
1. JUDGES’ APPOINTMENT:
Buoyed by the responses received from the political parties, the BJP-led NDA government has stepped up efforts to table a constitutional amendment Bill in the ongoing session of Parliament, which seeks to carry out a drastic change in the way judges are appointed in the country.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Judges Bill: Govt in a tearing hurry – a special report by Utkarsh Anand , Pradeep R Kaushal
2. EXPRESS INVESTIGATION:
As many as 605 communal incidents took place in the 71 days in Uttar Pradesh between May 16 and July 25 — that is, nearly nine incidents a day on average — but fewer than a dozen people died in them. That, however, is of little comfort.
Fighting kids to dhaba bill: Takes little to keep communal pot simmering – Exclusive by Appu Esthose Suresh
3. FRESH DIRECTIVE:
The Narendra Modi government has amended the All India Service (Conduct) Rules, 1968 to include a 19-point guideline for bureaucrats, which mandates that they should maintain “political neutrality”, “make recommendations on merit alone” and “take decisions solely in public interest” among other things.
Raghvendra Rao reports – Thou shalt not: Modi govt issues list of 19 dos and don’ts for bureaucrats
4. HANGING IN BALANCE: The relationship between “democracy” and “secrecy” has always been debated, and it has been highlighted by the system of judicial appointments. Appointments and transfers of judges affect the independence of the judiciary and judicial review.
Upendra Baxi’s take on the issue: Change must respect basic structure
5. INDIA IN ENGLAND:
A gloomy 1st day for India at Old Trafford as they were dismissed for 152 after 6 batsmen went for a duck. As it turned out, the home team got the best of both worlds.
Ain’t no sunshine, reports Sandeep Dwivedi from England
For more on the series: FULL COVERAGE – INDIA TOUR OF ENGLAND
HERE’S 5 MORE FROM THE INDIAN EXPRESS: