Here are the top stories of The Indian Express you must read before you begin your day.
MODI IN JAPAN
Ahead of Monday’s summit talks, Indian and Japanese negotiators were working till late on Sunday night to conclude the civilian nuclear deal. The Indian negotiators are staying at a hotel located near the Japanese Foreign Ministry and PM Abe’s offices.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
ISIS FIGHTER’S PROFILE
The Facebook profile of Areeb Majeed, the 23-year-old civil engineering student from Kalyan who is believed to have died fighting alongside the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (that now calls itself IS), shows his gradual radicalisation and admiration for the organisation.
NALANDA UNIVERSITY STARTS
The much-awaited Nalanda University starts functioning from Monday with two schools, 15 students and 11 faculty members. Of the students, five are women. Set up following a 2010 special Act of Parliament, the university acquired 455 acres at the Rajgir foothills but as there has not been any construction so far, it will for now function from Rajgir Convention Centre, a state government building. Government-owned Tathagat Hotel will serve as the hostel.
A HISTORIAN’S LIFE
When the news came of Bipan Chandra’s passing away on the morning of August 30, my mind went back to an afternoon in a fly-ridden tea shop at Aligarh, where our long friendship began 55 years ago. I was instantly drawn to him for his commitment to the cause he had taken up (a journal at the time), his infectious enthusiasm and a quite irrepressible sense of humour.
Read More: A death in the family
INDIA VS ENGLAND
In the last week, India have gone from having plenty of problems to potentially facing a problem of plenty. As recently as the second ODI in Cardiff, India’s batting order was looking more or less settled. In that match, Rohit Sharma made a gritty half-century to cement his position at the top, Ajinkya Rahane played a composed 41-run knock at No.4, and Suresh Raina reclaimed his No.5 position with, perhaps, a career-reviving century.
Read More: Man down, no problem