The weekend has arrived, but we suggest that you go through these five exclusive stories from The Indian Express before starting your Saturday.
1. TARGET GRAFT: Aiming to give the Lokayukta more teeth, the AAP’s draft of the Jan Lokpal Bill will seek to give a maximum punishment of life imprisonment to those found guilty of corruption. The draft has been sent to Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who will also be accountable under the new Lokayukta.
AAP draft of Lokpal Bill proposes life term for corruption, reports Pragya Kaushika
2. DENIAL OF JUSTICE? There was outrage in the Kashmir Valley on Friday after the Army announced the closure of the Pathribal case in which five Rashtriya Rifles officers were accused of killing five civilians in a fake encounter in March 2000.
Bashaarat Masood on Rage in Valley: Army clears itself in Pathribal killings
3. EROSION OF CLOUT: Backing rebels to bad-mouthing potential allies, there is nothing new in the charges raised against M K Alagiri that led to his suspension Friday. What, however, has changed this time is the steady erosion of his clout in south Tamil Nadu over past couple of years ever since the DMK lost power in the state and withdrew from the Centre.
Gopu Mohan reveals that Post-2011, Alagiri left the field open for Stalin
4. ANGER AFTER RETURN: On his return to his family in Jogeshwari last week after six years in Spanish prisons, Roshan Jamal Khan, 56, remains optimistic as he tries to pick up the pieces of his life in Mumbai. He continues to harbour ambitions of running a flourishing olive oil business —an endeavour that took him to Spain in the first place, he says.
Roshan Jamal Khan tells Sagnik Chowdhury that ‘Not a single Indian official ever showed up for my trial’
5. AAP POLITICS: In ultra-fast hurry mode, the world has learnt a lot about the Aam Aadmi Party in the last few months. The party has opined on subjects well beyond its area of responsibility and expertise, for example, foreign policy, and well within it, for instance, policies on water, electricity, law and order, and how to run a government (from the street or from the office).
Opinion by Surjit S Bhalla on The world according to AAP
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now