A look at five stories from The Indian Express that you must read before starting your day:
1. STATUS QUO: Echoing the Shimla Sankalp of 2003, the Congress Thursday decided to call upon “all secular parties” to join hands against “divisive forces”. The CWC meeting also decided to project party vice-president Rahul Gandhi not as its prime ministerial candidate, but only as its chief campaigner
D K Singh and Manoj C G report: Congress plays safe, won’t pit Rahul against Narendra Modi
2. RIOTS CONTINUE: It was the day of Makar Sankranti and Id Milad-un-Nabi. After celebrating during the day, the residents of Kotadi village in Pratapgarh district of Rajasthan were just turning in for the night when communal clashes broke out, leaving three dead and six injured.
3 dead in communal clash, Rajasthan village looks for answers, reports Sweta Dutta
3. DISCRIMINATION BEFORE GOD: A dalit percussion artiste was banned from performing within the precincts of the famous Sree Krishna Temple at Guruvayoor in Kerala, bringing back the spectre of caste-based discrimination. The temple in Thrissur district is open to all Hindus.
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
Shaju Philip tells about the Dalit musician banned at Guruvayoor temple
4. EDUCATION NEEDS ATTENTION: The just released ninth Annual Survey of Education Report on rural schools, conducted by the NGO Pratham Education Foundation, reconfirms familiar truths about the Indian education system and offers a reality check on the UPA’s achievements and failures in the education system through its decade-long rule.
Long on roll call, short on teaching, reports Anubhuti Vishnoi
5. NEW CHAPTER: If there is one country in the world that ought to welcome Japan’s revival and its desire to be an active player in the new global balance of power it is India.
Opinion by Sanjay Baru – Singh and Abe, Act Two