We bring you the five best stories of the Indian Express you must read before beginning your day.
1. BHAGWAT’S STRONG MESSAGE: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat has said the organisation should not cross its “maryada” (limits) while working for the BJP, and it should stay away from any personality-driven campaign. Shyamlal Yadav tells in Not RSS’ job to chant ‘Namo, Namo’: Bhagwat
2. MODI WOOS MUSLIMS: Heralded by mantras from priests called from Varanasi, Narendra Modi addressed a sizeable Muslim audience in Bihar Monday and sought to win them over with a narrative of how well their community is faring in Gujarat. And to Yadav voters, he assured good prices for their milk. Santosh Singh give details about Modi’s visit in Bihar. Mocking Nitish Kumar’s ‘PM hopes’, Narendra Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
3. TUSSLE FOR TICKET: One by one and in public, veterans of the BJP in politically crucial Uttar Pradesh have started to pitch themselves for specific Lok Sabha seats, much to the discomfort of a party trying to settle a seat for Narendra Modi. The Contests within the BJP, a report by Ravish Tewari
4. SANTOSH TROPHY TITLE: It’s tempting to term it as a fluke but Mizoram’s triumph is a culmination of a decade of hard work, overcoming the challenges posed by almost negligible infrastructure and the language barrier. In the last fortnight, they have asserted the point by brushing aside challenges from domestic giants like Kerala, Maharashtra, Manipur and Tamil Nadu en route to their maiden title. Mihir Vasavda reports in Mizoram rises in the east
5. OPINION: Sudha Pai writes how the recent decision by the UPA government to provide reservation in jobs and educational institutions for Jats in Uttar Pradesh and neighbouring states, under the Central list of OBCs, fulfils a longstanding demand. The decision holds particular significance for the ongoing, highly competitive, electoral campaign in UP. The Jats, a dominant community concentrated in western UP, have shaped politics in this region since the late colonial period. Caste in the same mould
Anti-Corruption-Branch arrested 3 persons including a government official for allegedly taking bribe.