An old case has come back to haunt former Delhi chief minister and senior Congress leader Sheila Dikshit. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has written to the Delhi chief secretary to explain Dikshit’s presence at the re-launch of an Urdu newspaper last year where prime accused in the attack on Israel diplomat was also present.
On April 17 last year, Dikshit had attended the event where Syed Mohammad Ahmad Kazmi, the only suspect arrested in the case related to the 2012 attack on an Israeli diplomat — Tal Yehoshua Koren — was also present. Israel has blamed Iran for the incident and the police arrested Kazmi for allegedly helping the bombers who stuck a magnetic bomb on the diplomat’s car. Kazmi was granted bail by the Supreme Court the same year.
As reported by The Indian Express, Israel had protested against Diskhit attending the function prompting the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) to write to the MHA seeking an explanation. The MHA had shot off a letter to the Delhi government in this regard but never got a response.
Recently, sources said the MHA has written to the present Delhi chief secretary D M Spolia and asked him about the government’s stand on the matter. Spolia was the chief secretary in 2013 when the incident took place. Home minister Rajnath Singh is expected to visit Israel this week to attend a bilateral meet. Sources said based on the response they get from Delhi government, the future course of action against Diskhit would be ascertained.
“We understand when the response was sought from Delhi government, Dikshit was still in power. After that the AAP also came to power but they did not do anything. We want a closure to the case and for this we need to know Delhi government’s stand which is presently under the President’s rule,” a senior official said.