The Akhilesh Yadav-led government in Uttar Pradesh Monday appointed former BSP MP Vijay Bahadur Singh as the new Advocate General (AG). Singh was expelled by BSP chief Mayawati from the party last year for supporting a controversial statement made by the then Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi in reference to Gujarat riots.
The post of AG had been lying vacant after the cabinet removed Vinay Chandra Mishra from the post on July 29. Singh is the third AG to be appointed by the Akhilesh Yadav government after Mishra and his predecessor S P Gupta.
A senior lawyer, Singh made his electoral debut in 2009 as a BSP candidate and was elected from Hamirpur Lok Sabha seat. He was, however, denied the party ticket after he angered Mayawati by describing as “sensitive” a remark made by Modi in the context of the Gujarat riots. During an interview last year, Modi was quoted as having said that even if a puppy comes under the wheels of a car, one feels sad.
Mayawati first suspended and then expelled him. Singh joined the Samajwadi Party (SP) ahead of the Lok Sabha elections in April this year.
Singh, who assumed charge on Monday and entered AG’s official address, 1 Kalidas Marg, refused to comment on the statements he had made about Modi. “That is in the past. Whatever I say, I say from my heart. Ask me about Samajwadi Party now,” he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016