The CBI Thursday confirmed that “subject to the approval of the appropriate authority/court”, July 20 has been fixed as the date to exhume the bodies of two rape-murder victims in Badaun.
The announcement came after a medical board from AIIMS, which met CBI officials Thursday, gave a written recommendation of its opinion on the need to repeat the post mortem on the cousins, who were allegedly raped and hung from a tree in Katra Sadatganj village on May 28.
A CBI spokesperson said, “The medical board recommended there is a need to exhume the bodies for further investigation. Subject to the approval of the appropriate authority/court , the tentative date scheduled for the exhumation is July 20.”
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
A source from AIIMS said, “After CBI first approached us, we had communicated we were prepared for a repeat autopsy when the bodies were exhumed. We constituted a board and gave July 17 as the tentative date for post mortem. Till Wednesday, we did not get any papers confirming a sanction for exhumation from the CBI, but they called the board for a meeting Thursday. Our board, along with CBI officials, examined the previous post mortem report and we think the circumstances mandate a repeat post mortem.”
The source explained that on Thursday, the CBI expressed the need for a written recommendation from the medical board to get permission for exhumation. “We understand the CBI plans to approach the Badaun district court and district magistrate for permission of exhumation not only with the investigating officials’ opinion but also a forensic recommendation,” the source said.
SSP (Badaun) L R Kumar said the police will ensure a three-tier security system during the exhumation, in anticipation of a large crowd and resentment from villagers.
“We need to cordon off the ghat completely. Policemen will guard the entry and exit points of the village and barricades will be put up,” Kumar said.
Once the remains are exhumed, the UP police would make sure they reach AIIMS, where the second autopsy would be conducted, and then escort them back so they can be buried at the same spot at Atena Ghat.
A team of the provincial armed constabulary (PAC) of the UP police has also been stationed near the village.
Since the Ganga is rising, and threatens to consume the graves before July 20, District Magistrate Shambu Nath has asked the Irrigation and Flood Control department to close floodgates at Narora to keep Badaun’s Atena Ghat from being flooded.