Union Minister of State Gen (retd) V K Singh has appointed Shambhu Prasad Singh, a controversial former defence contractor who was arrested by the Delhi Police Economic Offences Wing last year, as his political attache.
While Shambhu is facing trial in a disproportionate assets case registered by the CBI in 2002, the agency also filed a preliminary enquiry (PE) against him in January this year.
In a letter to then Ghaziabad District Magistrate S V S Rangarao on June 6, which has been accessed by The Indian Express, V K Singh said, “I have appointed Dr S P Singh as my political attache, whose task is to interact with district and other administrative functionaries, to resolve the issues of the constituents of Ghaziabad.” The former Army Chief won the Lok Sabha elections from Ghaziabad.
While V K Singh was not available for comment despite several calls and text messages sent by The Indian Express, Shambhu said, “I am neither OSD nor his personal staff in any ministry. I am just assisting him in his constituency, Ghaziabad.”
In his new role, Shambhu visits Ghaziabad over the weekends, listens to the problems of local workers and residents, and acts as the liaison between V K Singh and the local administration. Sometimes, he invites some for meetings at Akbar Bhawan, Shashtri Bhawan or Vigyan Bhawan Annexe, where V K Singh has his offices as MoS of three different departments — Development of Northeastern Region (independent charge), External Affairs and Overseas Indian Affairs.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
On the cases against him, Shambhu said, “I am a victim of a conspiracy hatched by a former top officer of the Delhi Police who has tried to malign my image because I always tried to expose his immoral activities, including his relationships with various nefarious men and women, as well as his activities of extorting money through the Delhi Police Economic Offences Wing.”
Booked for cheating and forgery in February last year, Shambhu was arrested on May 8, 2013. His arrest followed a complaint filed by Anil Dhanraj Jethani, a businessman, who alleged that Shambhu had sold him a property in New Delhi. According to the complaint, after Jethani paid the money, he came to know that Shambhu had already leased the property to a third party, an NGO, National Thinkers Forum, which was run by himself.
CBI sources said the PE against Shambhu was filed in January this year in connection with a 2011 case, in which two companies belonging to his Rely Group — Dynamic Shells and Sai Baba Builders & Consultants — were alleged to have been involved in financial irregularities and provided fake bank guarantees to the Assam Rifles.
While the Delhi Police is yet to file a chargesheet against him, Shambhu said he has filed an appeal in the high court for quashing the cases against him.