The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has issued showcause notices to the former top brass of Commonwealth Games (CWG) organising committee (OC) in a case related to hiring of cars in the Queen’s Baton relay in the UK. According to sources, the Delhi zonal office of the ED has found a Rs 6 crore forex violation by the OC in awarding the contract to AM Films and Cars Ltd.
The ED is planning to file showcause notices against Jarnail Singh (ex-chief executive officer, OC), Suresh Kalmadi (ex-chairman), Lalit Bhanot (ex-secretary general), V K Verma (ex-director general), Sanjay Mahindroo (deputy director general), M Jayachandran (ex-joint director general) and A K Matoo (ex-treasurer).
Interestingly, T S Darbari, the former joint director general who was sacked by the OC in connection with alleged irregularities, is not named by the ED. Darbari was also exempted from the chargesheet filed by the ED in 2012.
“The ED investigation has found the contract to be in contravention of Foreign Exchange Regulations [section 5, 3A, 7D, 10 (5), 10(6)] since the OC gave revised work order to Am Films and Cars Ltd,” a source said.
“A FEMA violation of Rs 6 crore is found by ED. On the money laundering case, the ED will await the outcome of the trial court,” the source futher said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The genesis of the controversy was in engaging AM Films and Cars Ltd when the contract was originally given to another firm at one-third the price by JMW. The ED findings also mention that the OC violated its own charter for the event and hired luxury vehicles like Mercedes S-class and BMW-7 series, thereby violating the authorisation for hiring only “mid-size” cars for ferrying guests, athletes and other dignitaries, a source said.