Over Rs 195 crore of cash has been seized so far by Election Commission (EC) appointed teams, with Andhra Pradesh topping the list.
According to official data prepared till today, the EC-appointed Election Expenditure Observers have so far seized a total of Rs 118 crore cash in Andhra Pradesh, Rs 18.31 crore in Tamil Nadu, Rs 14.40 in Maharashtra, Rs 10.46 crore in Uttar Pradesh and over Rs 4 crore in Punjab including numerous other small seizures in rest of the states.
Also, the total liquor seized stands at 26.56 lakh litres, Heroin 70 kgs while 11,469 FIRs have been registered against distribution of cash and illegal inducements in various states.
A senior official, part of the EC-appointed team, said the 659-officer strong surveillance teams drawn from IRS and other central services have been deputed to all the Lok Sabha and Assembly constituencies and they are reporting cash seizure instances since the polls were declared on March 5.
The Commission, as part of its measures to curb blackmoney and illegal funds in the polls, has deployed the ‘expenditure observers’ drawn from central revenue services like the Income Tax and Customs and Excise departments.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The EC, in order to keep a track of huge cash during the polls, has also asked the Central Board of Direct Taxes and the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU), both agencies under the Union Finance Ministry, to keep a strict eye through their intelligence and investigative tools during the poll period.