Hours after the Election Commission warned West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to cancel Lok Sabha elections, the state government has written to the poll panel urging it to reconsider its decision on transfer of five SPs and one DM. The Trinamool Congress also wrote to the panel seeking clarification on its transfer orders.
Reports suggested that the EC was examining letter seeking clarification on the transfer orders.
Earlier in the day, the Election Commission said that it could cancel the Lok Sabha elections in West Bengal if the state government doesn’t comply with its order on transfer of the officials.
This comes after The Indian Express reported about the defiant stand of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Banerjee had on Monday had defied EC orders, saying she would “not remove a single officer” and was ready to face the consequences.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
Mamata’s remarks came hours after the poll panel ordered the transfer of five superintendents of police and three district magistrates and additional district magistrates.
In its communication to the state chief secretary, the EC ordered the transfer of Birbhum SP Alok Rajoria, West Midnapore SP Bharati Ghosh, Murshidabad SP Humayun Kabir, Burdwan SP M H Mirza, Malda SP R K Yadav, North 24 Parganas DM Sanjay Bansal, Mathurapur Addl DM Alokesh Prasad Roy and West Midnapore Addl DM Arindam Dutta. In its letter, the EC said the officials should be transferred to “non-election related and non-field” posts by Tuesday.
However, the TMC supremo challenged the EC saying, “I will not remove a single officer. Let the EC come and arrest me. I throw this challenge to the EC. I will put in my resignation… I want to see how the EC takes charge of the state’s law and order. I will not be responsible if Jangalmahal is on fire again. How can they transfer so many officers without consulting the state government.”