Initiating one of its biggest criminal actions in a money laundering case, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Wednesday attached assets worth Rs 863 crore of YSR Congress leader Jaganmohan Reddy and his associates in connection with its probe into alleged corruption in an infrastructure project in Andhra Pradesh.
The agency slapped separate notices against Jagan and Nimmagada Prasad whose companies were allegedly favoured by the then AP government (when Jagan’s father Y S Rajasekhara Reddy was chief minister) in the Vadarevu and Nizampatnam Industrial Corridor (VANPIC) project whose aim was to develop sea ports and a green field airport in coastal areas of the southern state and industrial corridors in Prakasam and Guntur districts.
The ED had in 2012 registered a criminal probe under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) against the individuals and associated firms based on a CBI FIR in this case. The ED probe said there was ‘quid pro quo’ in this deal and hence illegal money exchanged hands.
“Various concessions were extended to the VANPIC project in the form of alienation of huge chunks of assigned government land to the companies floated by Nimmagadda Prasad, development of shipyard, green filed airport, exemptions from levy of stamp duty and registration charges, seigniorage (deed-signing) fee and other undue benefits were extended,” the ED probe report said.
The CBI chargesheet, which the ED relied upon, said “illegal gains to the tune of Rs 1426.17 crore was made to Prasad in the acquisition of lands and Rs 854.54 crore was made to Jagan and his companies as quid pro quo by Prasad and his companies.”
“This is one of the biggest attachments done by the ED in a money laundering case. The assets will now be seized,” sources privy to the development told PTI.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More