As the country’s voters smashed a 30-year turnout record, two activities taken up by the Election Commission to enhance people’s participation have ended up establishing Guinness World Records, each in a Gujarat district. Under the EC’s systematic voters’ education and electoral participation (SVEEP) programme, a campaign to sign a one-page written pledge was taken up in Narmada district. It collected 58,398 signed pledges on a single day (April 2) and has now been awarded the status of a Guinness World Record with the title “Most Pledges to Vote in an Election”. Narmada’s district collector Rakesh Shankar has been named in the Guinness certificate.
The second record was established in Valsad, which took up a unique initiative, kartavyabodh abhiyan, for sending postcards to all voters. These postcards were painted or written upon by students and NGOs with the message “Thank you for voting” and then posted to all 10.96 voters of Valsad, EC officials said. The event of “most people sending a postcard from a single location simultaneously”, held in Bulsar District Cricket Association Cricket Stadium, Valsad, on May 10, has been awarded Guinness status, with district collector Dr Vikrant Pandey and Team Valsad credited in the certificate.
The EC has also staked claims to the Limca Book of Records with a move to take over 95,000 signatures on a pledge for ethical voting on a 1-km-long canvas in Narmada, as well as a “Ride to Vote-Narmada Bike Rally Championship” held on April 28, where 1,214 bikers rode over 60 km to motivate voters.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen