Scores of e-rickshaw drivers on Saturday held a demonstration at the Jantar Mantar here demanding the city government to allow plying of the battery-operated vehicles in the national capital.
The protesters gathered in the heart of the city and voiced their concern on the issue. There are around 70,000 battery-operated rickshaws plying on roads in the national capital.
The Delhi High Court, on July 31 directed the Delhi government to stop e-rickshaws from plying on the roads of the national capital “as of now”, observing that “unregulated plying of vehicles on Delhi roads is prima facie a hazard to other traffic on road as well as the citizens”. Delhi Police and Transport Department, the same day had said that they would launch a crackdown on the e-rickshaws plying on streets here following the court’s order.
Special Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Muktesh Chander had then said that they will pass directions of impounding e-rickshaws to their officials through wireless message once they get a copy of the court’s order.
On June 17, Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari while addressing a rally of e-rickshaw owners and drivers at Ramlila Maidan, had announced that e-rickshaws having motor till 650W would now be regarded as non-motorised vehicles and Transport Department and traffic police could not challan them.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
After Gadkari’s intervention, all three municipal corporations had started the process of regularising these vehicles. However, following the court’s order, the Transport Department officials also said that their enforcement wing would start seizing such vehicles.