Months after he was questioned for suspected Maoist links, Delhi University professor G N Saibaba was arrested by Maharashtra police on Friday afternoon from the university campus.
Saibaba’s family said he was returning home for lunch when his car was stopped by men in plain clothes. The car driver, Prashant, said: “We were on our way home when we were stopped outside the School of Open Learning by five-six men in civilian clothes. I was blindfolded and taken to the Civil Lines police station. After that, I was not allowed to see him.”
Saibaba’s wife Vasantha said: “When he did not reach home, I called his mobile number and that of the driver. Both didn’t take my calls.
Around 3 pm, I got a call from someone who claimed to be from Gadchiroli police. He asked me if I was Saibaba’s wife and then said they had arrested him. When I asked why, the call was cut.”
Vasantha went to the Maurice Nagar police station where she was told that a police team from Gadchiroli had turned up at 9 am.
Saibaba, who teaches English at Ram Lal Anand College and is wheelchair-bound, is the deputy secretary of the Revolutionary Democratic Front.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
His arrest comes months after he was questioned by police at his home on the north campus. In September 2013, police searched his house — they took away pen drives and reading material – on the basis of disclosures made by journalist and activist Prashant Rahi who had been arrested by Gadchiroli police. Rahi was held after police arrested and questioned JNU student Hem Mishra for suspected Maoist links.