A group of students from Delhi University and Jawaharlal Nehru University on Saturday staged a protest here over the arrest of DU professor G N Saibaba by Maharashtra Police for his alleged links with Maoists.
Demanding immediate release of the professor, around 50 to 60 students staged a demonstration outside Maharashtra Sadan on K G Marg, a senior police official said.
The Delhi University professor was arrested on Friday morning on charges of allegedly being a member of a banned organisation (CPI-Maoist), providing logistics and helping in recruitment for the group, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Gadchiroli, Ravindra Kadam had said.
The demonstrators also handed over a memorandum to the Resident Commissioner of Maharashtra Sadan, which was addressed to the Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan.
In the memorandum, the student said that the arrest is an attempt to “frame him up” and condemned the “illegal” detention.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The name of Saibaba cropped after the arrest of Jawaharlal Nehru University student Hemant Mishra who had claimed before the probe agencies that he was acting as a courier between the professor and Maoists holed up in Abujmad forests in Chhattisgarh, official sources said.