Delhi University today formally scrapped its controversial four-year undergraduate programme after a resolution to revert back to the three-year format was passed by the varsity’s Academic and Executive Councils.
The development has come a day after DU Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh announced that the university has agreed to roll back FYUP as directed by the University Grants Commission.
Emergent meetings of the two statutory bodies of the University had been called this morning to pass the resolution for implementation of the three-year undergraduate programme and to follow admission process as conducted under the scheme of courses that were in force in the academic session 2012-13.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
The resolution was passed with a majority by both the councils. However, no discussions took place.
“Academic Council has passed the resolution to implement the three-year under graduate programme without holding any discussion which is very unfortunate,” Sanjay Kumar, AC member who opposed the resolution, said.
Same was the scenario in the EC meeting. “In Executive council, VC Dinesh Singh tabled resolution and passed it within few minutes,” EC member Aditya Narayan Mishra said.
With no discussions taking place, the fate of students enrolled into the B.Tech and Bachelor in Management Sciences (BMS) courses was still unknown even as a meeting of newly-set up panel of principals asked to devise the modalities for admissions is at present underway.
“A 12-member committee of principals formed by DU VC will look after the B.Tech issue and it has to take final call on this matter,” Mishra said.
Hundreds of B.Tech students staged a protest outside the VC’s office demanding that their course should not be changed to a three-year programme.
Delhi University yesterday decided to scrap the FYUP after UGC mounted pressure to roll it back.
The VC yesterday issued a statement asking principals of various colleges affiliated to the varsity to start admissions for the new session under the three-year format.
The decision has put an end to the uncertainty over the admission process for 2014-15 which was triggered due to the row over FYUP between DU and UGC.
Over 2.7 lakh students have applied for admission to more than 54,000 seats in 64 colleges of the varsity.