Dr Suniti Solomon, who pioneered HIV research and treatment in India, passes away

Written by Arun Janardhanan | Chennai | Updated: July 29, 2015 3:53 am
dr suniti solomon, suniti solomon hiv, hiv suniti solomon Dr Suniti Solomon set up the first voluntary testing and counselling centre and an AIDS Research Group in Chennai while serving at the Madras Medical College . (Source: YouTube)

Dr Suniti Solomon, whose team was the first to document evidence of HIV infection in India in 1986, died at her residence in Chennai on Tuesday morning. A pioneer in treating HIV patients since the 80s at a time when many physicians were reluctant, she founded the first voluntary HIV testing and counselling centre, Y R Gaitonde Center for AIDS Research and Education (YRG CARE), a premier HIV/AIDS care and support centre, in Chennai. She was also the Professor of Microbiology at the Madras Medical College.

Related Article

At a time when the international journals had been writing a lot about the HIV outbreaks in the world in 1980s, it was the six blood samples she collected from female sex-workers sheltered at a government home in Mylapore that sent first shockwaves of the deadly virus in India. Samples initially tested positive were sent to Christian Medical College (CMC) in Vellore as the facility for ELISA test was only available there in mid-80s. Later, samples were sent to the Johns Hopkins University in Maryland, United States for further confirmation. The first findings of the deadly virus, in Tamil Nadu, was even read out in the state legislative assembly.

She set up the first voluntary testing and counselling centre and an AIDS Research Group in Chennai while serving at the Madras Medical College and Government General Hospital as a Professor of Microbiology. She was also a member of the National Technical Team on women and AIDS and a member of the advisory board of International AIDS Vaccine Initiative-India, member of the Scientific Committee of the National AIDS Research Institute, Pune, Government of India, a permanent member on the Microbicides Committee of the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) and member of the Asia Data Safety Monitoring Board of the Division of AIDS, NIH, USA.

A pioneer in public health and HIV related studies, she was part of several pioneering HIV research studies including the US National Institute of Mental Health’s multi-country HIV/STD Prevention Trial, the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases’ HIV Prevention Trial Networks, NIH award that will measure stigma in health care settings in Southern India, and a Phase III study of 6% CS GEL, a candidate microbicide of CONRAD. She also served as the President of the AIDS Society of India.

Among her colleagues and specialists, she is always remembered as a doctor who dared to deal with HIV at a time when many physicians were reluctant to enter that field. She used to recall an unforgettable case in which she treated a pregnant woman tested positive in 1992, who delivered a baby who also tested positive, although he later died at the age of 17.

1. T
    Taylor
    Sep 7, 2017 at 12:22 am
    All thanks to Dr.Alabi Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr.ALABI has done for me and my family. I Was having HIV/ AIDS for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also losing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. if you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email him below and get your healing. please get in touch with this (dr.alabihivcure ) or whatsapp him 2349061385058 . Thank you, Dr. Alabi for such a blessed creation. May God allow your legacy to live on. Your products could heal the world.
    (0)(0)
      Michele
      Mar 30, 2017 at 2:52 pm
      I want to give a testimony on how I got cured from Herpes Virus. Few months back I was having some symptoms . I went to see a doctor and many blood tests was done on me, later on I was told I had Herpes. My doctor told me that there's no cure for Herpes I felt bad, I went online searching for a possible cure for Herpes Virus, I saw a post of Dr. Oyekpen a herbal doctor that's helping people get cured from HIV, HEPAIS B, CANCER e.t.c. I contacted him and told him how I'm feeling he said his herbal medicine can cure me, after all the prosidure was done,he sent me the medicine via Courier Service and I received the medicine some days after he sent it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him. Before the completion of the medication the symptoms stopped. I went to the doctor and carried out another blood test, surprisingly I was Negative. I haven't had any symptoms anymore. Dr. Oyekpen is great, and his herbal medicine has no side effects. You can reach him on , call/whatsapp 2348168257144, you can also message him on facebook page ,lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Thanks.
      (0)(0)
      1. B
        Bagwasi Stella
        Mar 11, 2016 at 3:59 pm
        I never believed i would be healed someday. I want to testify on how i got cured from HIV AIDS, I got infected with HIV AIDS disease in 2013 and I have visited several Hospitals, spiritualists and pastors for cure but all to no avail, my Life was gradually coming to an end until i saw a post in a health forum about a powerful herbal Dr who casts herbal spells to cure all kinds of deadly diseases including HIV AIDS, ALS, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Hepais, Cancer, Herpes etc, so i wrote to telling him about my illness he told me not to worry that i an going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr Boadi ured me that i have cured, after some time i went to my medical doctor for test to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE it was HIV NEGATIVE, he only asked me to post the testimony through the w world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on, ( or Whats-app number: 2348156769001
        (0)(0)
          malinda jane
          Aug 5, 2016 at 9:43 pm
          I'm maria cooker , I contracted HIV in 2009, I was told by my doctor that there's no possible cure for HIV. I started taking my ARV's, My CD4 was 77 and viral load was 112,450. I saw a website of Dr. amadu, also I saw a lot of testimonials about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HIV. I contacted him and told him my problems, He sent me the herbal medicine and I took it for 7 days after then I went for check-up and I was cured. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT, there's no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cure ALS, HEPAIS B, CANCER, HERPES and lots more. You can reach him on lt;br/gt;. or . or call/Whatsapp 2349052645237.
          (0)(0)
            Michele
            May 2, 2016 at 10:48 pm
            MUST READ: All thanks to Dr Oyekpen for curing my Hiv positive to Negative, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will for ever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Oyekpen to reach me when i thought it is all over, today am happy with my two kids and my husband after the medical doctor have confirmed my Hiv status Negative, i have never in my life believed that Hiv could be cure by any herbal medicine. so i want to use this means to reach other people who have this disease by testifying the wonderful herbs and power of Dr Oyekpen that all is not lost yet, you can contact him if you are also suffering from this deadly disease email: ..., you can also reach him on his tell 2348168257144,lt;br/gt; i believe he can also help you as well.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Thanks.
            (0)(0)