Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Saturday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh not to succumb to Italian government’s pressure, which has already approached the United Nations for the release of marines facing trial in killing Indian fishermen.
In a letter to the Prime Minister, Chandy said the two marines, chargesheeted for murdering fishermen from Kerala, should not be released without trial.
“People of Kerala are anxiously following each stage in the case. The marines had fired deadly shots at the fishermen without any provocation. If the undertrials are released under pressure from the UN or any foreign country, that would give rise to prejudices and belittle our judicial system,’’ Chandy said.
Chandy’s letter was made public in the wake of media reports that Italy has sought the UN intervention, and UN General Assembly Chief John Ashe is coming to Delhi in this regard.
The Congress government in Kerala has resorted to a tough stand, fearing that release of the marines would serve as a weapon for the Opposition LDF in the LS elections.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016