Tania, son of Congress MLA and Parliamentary Secretary in Health and Family Welfare Department, Nido Pavitra, had died on Thursday after he was allegedly beaten up by some shopkeepers in Lajpat Nagar following an altercation sparked by their taunts on his hairstyle.
Condemning the incident, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today recommended to Lt Governor Najeeb Jung to order a magisterial inquiry into how college student Tanian died following an assault on him and what was the response of the law enforcing agencies.
Government sources said the Lt Governor’s office has approved it.
“The government has adopted a zero tolerance policy towards such unacceptable behaviour since people from all parts of the country and those belonging to other countries, residing in Delhi are its pride. There is no place for elements trying to spread hatred against people belonging to any particular part of the country,” said Kejriwal.
A government official said that the death is not only tragic but raises serious questions on the alleged beating reportedly in public view.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“The loss of an innocent life raises serious questions about the functioning of law enforcement agencies and it needs to be probed how the alleged beating of this student reportedly took place in full public view,” added the official.
Tania’s relatives alleged that he had an altercation with some shopkeepers in Lajpat Nagar on Wednesday after they made fun of his hairstyle, following which they allegedly thrashed him.
Some locals intervened and the quarrel was stopped after which Tania came back home. However, his condition suddenly deteriorated yesterday after which he died under suspicious circumstances, his relatives claimed.