The Defence Ministry has ordered a CBI inquiry into the purchase of aero engines by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) from Rolls Royce, putting one of the world’s largest defence and aerospace companies under the scanner.
The inquiry has been ordered into alleged irregularities in purchases made over a four-year period, starting 2007, from the UK-based firm.
The order for an inquiry comes two weeks after arms dealer Sudhir Choudhrie and his son were arrested by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) in the UK, which is probing serious bribery allegations in the sale of Rolls Royce engines in Asia.
Sources in the Defence Ministry said that the CBI probe was ordered after complaints alleged discrepancies in the contract for engines, and charged officials in HAL and the Defence Ministry with taking bribes.
The engines were procured for the Hawk Advanced Jet Trainer (AJT) that is being produced by HAL for the Air Force and Navy.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Rolls Royce has not yet commented on the Indian inquiry.
Sources said the allegations were probed by the chief vigilance officer of HAL, and a preliminary report shared with the Defence Ministry. With the report indicating that the charges were serious and had some basis, the ministry decided to order a CBI inquiry.
Choudhrie had been briefly arrested by the SFO in London and questioned on his association with Rolls Royce. The firm is under investigation for several deals, including sales in China and Indonesia.
While it is still not clear if the Indian investigation is linked to the SFO probe, the CBI has already sought information about Choudhrie’s arrest from their counterparts in the UK. The Enforcement Directorate, which is investigating the arms dealer’s money transactions, has also roped in the Customs Overseas Intelligence Network.