The CBI on Thursday filed charges against Congress Rajya Sabha MP Vijay Darda, chairman of Lokmat Group, son Devender and his Nagpur-based firm AMR Iron and Steel Pvt Ltd in a case related to alleged irregularities in the allocation of coal blocks.
A day ahead of the Supreme Court hearing in the case, the probe agency swung into action, filing a chargesheet, two closure reports and registering two more FIRs — all in a day’s time.
AMR director Manoj Jayaswal, who had been promoter of Abhijeet group that was booked by the CBI in the case, was also named in the fresh chargesheet. However, no government officials have been named by the agency.
Darda, along with the others, has been named for criminal conspiracy and cheating in the chargesheet.
The CBI in the chargesheet stated that AMR in its application form for allocation of coal blocks had fraudulently concealed the fact that its group companies had previously been allocated five coal blocks.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The chargesheet also highlighted the role played by members of the 36th Screening Committee. The screening committee on July 3, 2008 had recommended allocation of Bander Coal Block jointly to J K Cement Ltd, M/s Century Textiles and Industries Ltd and AMR Iron and Steel Pvt Ltd for their proposed plants in Karnataka and Maharashtra respectively.
The CBI also registered two FIRs against Prakash Industries and its promoter Ved Prakash Agarwal; and Central Collieries promoter GD Daga. The agency conducted raids at six places in Nagpur, Mumbai, Jangir and Bilaspur at the official and residential premises of the accused persons and firms.
In a bid to wind up its probe, the investigation agency also filed a closure report in its cases against Vikash Metals and Kamal Sponge and Power for lack of substantial evidence.