Even as large-scale celebrations are under way worldwide to mark the 80th birthday of Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama on July 6, McLeodganj – known as the headquarters of the Tibetan Government-in-Exile – is all decked up too, to host prayers and cultural performances.
- Tibetans want development... remaining with China in our interest: Dalai Lama
- Tibet wants to stay with China, seeks development, says spiritual leader Dalai Lama
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders
- Dalai Lama arrives in Manipur on maiden visit
- Protecting the Dalai Lama from chemicals & poison
- Dalai Lamas trip to go as per plan
Officials of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) said an official function would be organised at at the main temple, which will be addressed by Prime Minister (Sikyong) Dr. Lobsang Sangay, who is the democratically elected leader of the Tibetan people. Penpa Tsering, Speaker of the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile, will also address the gathering.
The CTA has also invited Himachal Pradesh Urban Development Minister Sudhir Sharma and prominent citizens to join the celebrations.