The Communist Party of India (M) state secretariat has nominated former Gujarat cadre IAS officer Christy Fernandez, who was the secretary to former President Prathibha Patil, as the party candidate to contest from the Ernakulam constituency. A formal announcement will be made only after the CPI (M) state committee ratifies the list of party candidates.
Fernandez will take on sitting MP and minister K.V Thomas. Both belong to the Latin Catholic community, which has a sizeable presence in Ernakulam.
Although a formal announcement is due, Fernandez on Thursday met Cardinal George Alanchery in Kochi (Ernakulam). After meeting the Cardinal, the former IAS officer told the media that “the Left has better prospects in Ernakulam. The anti-incumbency factors against the Congress governments in state and the Centre are enough to ensure LDF success, who ever be the candidate.”
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
He said his meeting had little to do with him contesting in the upcoming election. “It was a routine visit,” he said. Cardinal Alanchery is the head of Kerala-based Syro-Malabar Roman Catholic Church, which is also has a sizeable number of voters from the constituency.
Fernandez is a native of Clappana in Kollam district. A majority of his Latin Catholic community are fishermen.