The Communist Party of India (M) state secretariat has nominated former Gujarat cadre IAS officer Christy Fernandez, who was the secretary to former President Prathibha Patil, as the party candidate to contest from the Ernakulam constituency. A formal announcement will be made only after the CPI (M) state committee ratifies the list of party candidates.
Fernandez will take on sitting MP and minister K.V Thomas. Both belong to the Latin Catholic community, which has a sizeable presence in Ernakulam.
Although a formal announcement is due, Fernandez on Thursday met Cardinal George Alanchery in Kochi (Ernakulam). After meeting the Cardinal, the former IAS officer told the media that “the Left has better prospects in Ernakulam. The anti-incumbency factors against the Congress governments in state and the Centre are enough to ensure LDF success, who ever be the candidate.”
He said his meeting had little to do with him contesting in the upcoming election. “It was a routine visit,” he said. Cardinal Alanchery is the head of Kerala-based Syro-Malabar Roman Catholic Church, which is also has a sizeable number of voters from the constituency.
Fernandez is a native of Clappana in Kollam district. A majority of his Latin Catholic community are fishermen.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More