Riding on the passage of the flagship food security bill despite a “challenging economic environment,” Congress on Tuesday hit out Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s development plank and took on socialist and Left parties saying they too did not come up with such a step.
“There is more than 30 percent malnutrition in Gujarat. This is the situation of those who talk the maximum about development. Socialists and Leftists only talked about food as a right of the poor but did nothing to implement it when and where they came to power,” party spokesperson Bhakta Charan Das told reporters here.
Noting that the food security measure seeks to bridge the deficit in the humane face of development,Das also talked about other pro-poor measures taken by the Congress-led government including MNREGA.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
He said Congress President Sonia Gandhi was pushing for the bill despite objections from some quarters and that the food bill became a reality after many a struggle.
Noting that hunger is the biggest enemy of the society,Das said “government has fulfilled the pledge made to the poor. We express our thanks to the government that despite a challenging environment,the UPA government has fulfilled the Congress’ concern.”
Congress has been pushing hard for the food security bill,which the party hopes to be vote-winning in next Lok Sabha polls on the line of MNREGA and farmers’ loan waiver scheme which are credited with among other factors for bringing UPA II to power in 2009.