A day after former Supreme Court judge Markandey Katju alleged that former CJI R C Lahoti had granted extension to an additional judge of the Madras High Court who was facing corruption charges, at the instance of the then UPA government, the Congress Monday questioned the timing of his allegation.
With the AIADMK using Katju’s allegation to launch a political attack on the DMK and the Congress, the latter advised restraint.
“We must all and that includes the Congress party and others exercise restraint in matters relating to the affairs of the apex judiciary and most importantly its collegiums,” Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
He, however, drew attention to the fact that the statement has come “roughly 10 or nine years after the alleged event”.
Refusing to elaborate, Singhvi said out of the several persons named in the statement, only one has reacted so far.
“These are matters of confidentiality within the collegium and unless we get the statements and clarifications for the ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’ or ‘D’, I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to react on behalf of the Congress party. It is quite clear that unless this version, and it is one version of the events, is corroborated by all the principal actors whose names been taken, prudence and discretion would dictate that we exercise appropriate restraint. We reserve our right but as of now this is our stand,” he said.