Congress on Friday attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for delivering a “zero effect” speech and getting bogged down in “pedestrian issues” on Independence Day, saying it had “no new ideas, new schemes, and new initiatives”.
“Given that it was the first address of the new Prime Minister one would have expected certain vision to be articulated by him on the trajectory of the next five years. But it is unfortunate that PM got bogged down in pedestrian issues without being able to rise to the occasion,” party spokesperson and former Union Minister Manish Tewari said.
Party general secretary Shakeel Ahmed said that it was a “zero effect” speech.
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
“It had nothing new. No new ideas, schemes, initiatives were announced by the Prime Minister,” he said.
Ridiculing the Prime Minister over the issue of communalism, Ahmed said that Modi should remember that the politics of the BJP are “based on communalism”.
In an apparent reference to recent incidents in some parts of the country, the Prime Minister said communalism and casticism are an obstacle in the country’s progress.
“On ground level his party is instigating all riots and conflicts. The Prime Minister himself climbed the ladder through communal conflicts,” he charged.
Regarding the Prime Minister’s sanitation pitch and emphasis on toilet construction, Ahmed said, “Vidya Balan is already promoting sanitation ten times a day on TV channels and it is the part of the propaganda drive of the Ministry of Sanitation set up by the UPA.”
About Modi’s talk of opening up bank accounts, he said “Under MGNREA, the government had ensured that even when there were no bank branches, they could open account in post offices.”