In a major embarrassment to Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda,the BJP trounced the Congress-supported candidate by a margin of 2,800 votes in Rohtak - the family ward of the Hoodas. Ironically,the ruling party,which evaded contesting on its symbol,was quick to claim victory in all the seven municipal corporations where counting of votes was held Tuesday.
Out of the 144 wards that went to polls,the Congress-supported candidates won 102 seats. The party has won all the seven corporations, state Congress chief Phool Chand Mullana said while talking to the Indian Express Tuesday.
However, Congress chief,who had all the figures pertaining to the entire state,claimed to be unaware about the fiasco in CMs home ward.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
I am not aware of that, Mullana said when asked about the Congress loss in Rohtak. I would,rather,on this occasion,like to thank the voters of the state who had given the party a thumping majority in all the seven municipal corporations and two municipal committees, he added.
The main Opposition,INLD,meanwhile achieved minor gains in Yamunanagar,Panchkula and Hisar. We are satisfied with the results. We have gained ground in urban areas and wherever we lost,it was with small margins, INLD leader Abhay Chautala said.
Launching a scathing attack at the Congress,he said the party has lost the public mandate.
The party lost the CMs home ward. The entire family of Chief Minister,including his MP son,was in action but still Congress lost. They are now claiming victory. If they were so sure about their candidates,then why did they not contest on party symbol, he asked.
The results also failed to bring any cheers for the Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC) president Kuldeep Bishnoi,whose men could win only one seat out of the 20 in Hisar,his home town. Bishnoi had decided not to enter the arena but his party men had contested at several seats more than one contested for the same seat. HJCs alliance partner too could not open account in Hisar with most of its BJP candidates losing their deposits.
On the other hand,the INLD made inroads in Hisar and won four seats. Both the Congress factions led by former ministers Savitri Jindal and Hari Singh respectively won five seats each. The party is likely to have tough time selecting the mayor.
Hoodas close confidant,Venod Sharmas men won six seats in Ambala city and an equal number was gained by supporters of another Congress leader Nirmal Singh. Union Minster Kumari Selja supported two candidates who won their wards. The BJP won four seats but Indian National Lok Dal suffered a washout here.