At least six Congressmen including a party spokesman were injured on Friday as supporters of ‘Bundelkhand Adhikar Sena’ allegedly indulged in vandalism and heavy brick-batting at the Congress headquarters here.
Carrying black flags and lathis, about 200 protesters, led by the outfit’s chief Guddu Rajput, gathered outside the party headquarters and raised slogans alleging neglect of Bundelkhand and denial of special package for the region.
The protest soon turned violent as the supporters damaged doors, window panes, furniture of the office and four-wheelers parked at the premises besides beating up party workers.
At least half a dozen workers including spokesman Dwijendra Tripathi were injured and had to be rushed to hospital for treatment, Congress sources said.
The mob of protesters could be controlled only after police arrived and arrested about 18 of them.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
A case has been lodged at the Hussainganj police station and strict action would be taken against all those involved in the attack, police said.
Meanwhile, UPCC president Nirmal Khatri strongly condemned the incident and said that a complaint will be lodged with the Election Commission regarding the incident.
Guddu is son of former Congress leader Ganga Charan Rajput who is presently with BJP, Khatri said.
“Ganga Charan rang me up to enquire who all were at the party office as some people from Bundelkhand want to submit a memorandum. Soon after, a mob arrived and attacked,” he said.
Chairman of Congress’ communication department, Satyadev Tripathi said the attack had been carried out at the instigation of Ganga Charan and his son Guddu.
“Ganga Charan is presently in BJP and had also been seeking its ticket from Mahoba for his son. We will complain to the EC that a BJP leader instigated the attack,” Tripathi said while claiming that the protestors also raised slogans in favour of BJP and Rajnath Singh.
Senior leader and Congress’ Lok Sabha nominee from Lucknow Lok Sabha seat Rita Bahuguna Joshi termed the attack a “preplanned conspiracy” of BJP and ruling Samajwadi Party.
“It once again proved the connivance between these two parties”, she said adding that police arrived at the spot late indicating at the prevailing anarchy in the state.