Orissa on Wednesday faced a threat of a major flood in the coastal districts of Jagatsinghpur, Puri and Kendrapara as Mahanadi river, which is flowing above danger level, is likely to inundate vast stretches of the areas. The floodwaters have so far affected 10 lakh people in 21 districts of the state, while killing 27 people. More than 2.41 lakh people in 358 villages were marooned due to flood.
Flood situation prevailed in Jajpur and Bhadrak districts of the state due to incessant rainfall over the last few days. Special Relief Commissioner P K Mohapatra said by Wednesday, 12 lakh cusecs of rainwater is expected to pass through Mundali gauge station on Mahanadi river system from where the delta system of the river starts. “Mundali can handle only 9 lakh cusecs of water. So we have to be prepared,” he said. About the flood situation in river Baitarani, Mohapatra said the situation is grim at present but it will ease soon. The swollen Baitarani has affected around 50,000 people in Jajpur district alone.
1,553 villages in 408 gram panchayat in the state were worst affected by the flood. “We have deployed 11 NDRF and 30 ODRAF teams for the rescue and relief work, “ he added.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Wednesday reviewed the flood situation and interacted with the collectors of 13 districts through video-conferencing. Officials reported to have demanded two choppers from Centre for relief and rescue and relief works. 1.39 lakh people reported to have been evacuated from the marooned areas so far.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More