Nearly half a dozen shops were set ablaze and several people sustained injuries in Basohli as communal clashes broke out in parts of Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir on Monday morning.
Trouble started at Phoond village near Basohli town after some locals found carcass of a cow in a drain. The villagers had gone there as someone told them about suspicious movement near the drain during the pervious night.
As the news spread, people belonging to a particular community gathered on the roads, protesting the ‘cow slaughter’. Soon their numbers swelled and they took out a procession torching shops belonging to another community. This led two clashes between the two groups. Several people were injured in stone-pelting during the clash.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
The trouble soon spread to nearby areas of Basohl, Bani and Mahanpur, where people joined the issue and observed complete bandh. Stray incidents of violence were reported from some places as mobs pelted stones and damaged vehicles.
Additional reinforcements of police and para military personnel were rushed to affected areas and by afternoon, situation though tense, was brought under control.
This has been the second incident of communal tension in the otherwise peaceful Jammu region during the last one month.