Nearly half a dozen shops were set ablaze and several people sustained injuries in Basohli as communal clashes broke out in parts of Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir on Monday morning.
Trouble started at Phoond village near Basohli town after some locals found carcass of a cow in a drain. The villagers had gone there as someone told them about suspicious movement near the drain during the pervious night.
As the news spread, people belonging to a particular community gathered on the roads, protesting the ‘cow slaughter’. Soon their numbers swelled and they took out a procession torching shops belonging to another community. This led two clashes between the two groups. Several people were injured in stone-pelting during the clash.
The trouble soon spread to nearby areas of Basohl, Bani and Mahanpur, where people joined the issue and observed complete bandh. Stray incidents of violence were reported from some places as mobs pelted stones and damaged vehicles.
Additional reinforcements of police and para military personnel were rushed to affected areas and by afternoon, situation though tense, was brought under control.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
This has been the second incident of communal tension in the otherwise peaceful Jammu region during the last one month.