The demand for a change in CPM leadership, after the party’s worst rout in 50 years, reached the gates of the party’s West Bengal headquarters Muzaffar Ahmed Bhavan at Alimuddin Street here.
For the first time since CPM came into existence in 1964, a rally was organised outside the party headquarters by both present and expelled leaders demanding immediate removal of Biman Bose and Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee at state level and Prakash Karat as party’s general secretary.
“These leaders have lost contact with the masses. They are old and unable to generate new ideas. They are unable to protect the comrades. They should quit immediately,” said Subhanil Chowdhury, who was in-charge of the party’s social networking platform, before being expelled last year.
“We are not here to weaken the Left or CPM. We feel the leadership should be changed as it has repeatedly failed. There is no democracy in the party,” said former party leader Prasenjit Bose, who was expelled in 2012 for questioning the party’s decision to support Congress’s presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
The expelled leaders will sit on a dharna at Esplanade on Sunday, he added. Those leading the protest included branch committee secretary Tanvir Ahmed and local member Sumanta Mukherjee. Other leaders who spoke at the rally include former CPM minister Abdur Rezzak Mollah.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review