Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam has nominated his senior colleague Justice H L Dattu to the Lokpal selection committee, according to highly placed sources.
Justice Dattu is the third in seniority in the Supreme Court after the Chief Justice and Justice R M Lodha. With Justice Dattu nominated to the selection panel, both Chief Justice Sathasivam and Justice Lodha will be eligible to become Lokpal.
Justice Lodha is in line to take over as CJI after Sathasivam retires on April 26. Justice Lodha, who is scheduled to retire on September 27, will have five months as CJI. Justice Dattu, who is in line to follow him, will have over a year at the post.
The Lokpal Bill provides for a selection committee consisting of the Prime Minister, Lok Sabha Speaker, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, CJI or “a sitting Supreme Court judge nominated by CJI”, and a fifth member selected by these four members. This five-member selection committee will choose the Lokpal and other members.
According to the Bill, the fifth member will be an “eminent jurist” who will be nominated by the President on the basis of recommendations of the first four members of the committee “through consensus”. It is reliably learnt that a panel of six jurists will be taken up for consideration this week.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The appointment of the eminent jurist is significant because this member may tilt the balance in case of a tie.