With the motto that “no person in the country should starve from hunger of justice”, the Supreme Court and National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) Friday opened more than 2,600 village legal aid clinics across the states for the people to avail free legal services at their doorstep.
Chief Justice of India P Sathasivam, along with Justice R M Lodha, who is also executive chairman of NALSA, and Justice A K Patnaik, chairperson of the SC Legal Services Committee, inaugurated 2,648 legal aid clinics in the villages on the lines of primary health centres.
These village legal services clinics will dole out legal advices to people with the help of para-legal volunteers and empanelled lawyers, besides assisting them in getting BPL card, Election ID, Aadhaar Card, gas connection and other government welfare schemes.
Speaking on the occasion, Justice Sathasivam spoke about the resolve to make legal aid available to the weakest of the persons in the country and urged the volunteers to play a vibrant and proactive role in this empowerment scheme.
Justice Lodha said that these centres will help villagers overcome the problems they face due to ignorance of the law and illiteracy. “Our efforts are to ensure that no citizen starves from hunger of justice and everyone, who deserves justice, gets the justice,” he said.
Justice Patnaik emphasised on the relevance of making legal assistance available at the doorstep so that many issues are resolved even before they translate into litigation.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review