An air-conditioned coach of the Bangalore-Nanded Express train caught fire in the early hours on Saturday in Anantpur district of Andhra Pradesh,killing 26 people and injuring 13 others.
Following is the chronology of major train mishaps in the last 10 years:
May 15,2003: A burst stove in the Mumbai-Amritsar Golden Temple Express (Frontier Mail) near Ludhiana in Punjab led to a major fire,killing 40 people and injured more than 50.
June 22,2003: 53 people were killed and 25 others injured in an accident on the Konkan Railway when the engine and three coaches of the Karwar-Mumbai Central Holiday Special train derailed after crossing Vaibhavwadi station in Maharashtra.
July 2,2003: At least 22 passengers and motorists were killed in a bizarre but ghastly accident in Andhra Pradesh when the engine and two coaches of a train fell off a bridge crushing vehicles passing underneath.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
June 16,2004: Matsyagandha Express skidded off the tracks while crossing a bridge in Maharashtra’s Raigarh district,killing 20 people and injuring over 60.
Dec 1,2006: A portion of a 150-year-old bridge collapsed over a passing train in Bihar’s Bhagalpur district,killing 35 and injuring 17.
Dec 14,2007: Ludhiana-Ferozpur Express rammed a min bus near Ajitwal station killing 16 people.
Aug 1,2008: A Secunderabad-Kakinada nightly Gautami Express with 360 passengers catches fire near Tadallapusalapalli station in Warangal killing at least 31 passengers.
Jan 25,2009: Kanpur-Allahabad train rammed a truck near Unchahar station killing 12 people.
Feb 22,2009: A local passenger-train hit a Bolero in an unmanned level crossing near Barapalli station killing 15 people.