Eight more bodies were recovered on Tuesday, taking the toll in the collapse of an under- construction multi-storeyed building here to 28 even as three persons were pulled out alive, a senior government official said.
A total of 26 persons have been rescued so far as the non-stop rescue efforts, involving multiple agencies, entered the fourth day today, Director, Public Health, K Kulandaisamy said.
“Mahesh was rescued alive today besides two others. He has indicated that several persons are alive under the rubble including his wife. This has enthused rescue personnel,” the official said.
He said they were hopeful of rescuing more persons on Monday.
“We are very hopeful and positive. Also, there are indications about the likely location of the survivors under the rubble. We hope that survivors should be holed up in that location”, he said.
Kulandaisamy said there were indications that the first and ground floors of the building had not fully crumbled. “It is the guess of rescue personnel going by the account of the rescued man. We cannot say anything more now.”
Of the three rescued today, two belonged to Andhra Pradesh and they have been admitted in the SRMC. “They are stable,” the official said.
Six persons, including two owners and two engineers, had been arrested under various sections of the IPC in connection with the building collapse.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App nowFirst Published on: July 1, 2014 12:50 pm