The death toll in the collapse of an under-construction 11 storeyed building near suburban Porur climbed to 42 on Wednesday, a senior state government official said.
Of the 42 deceased persons, 28 were men and the rest women, Director of Public Health K Kulandaisamy said.
A total of 69 persons had been pulled out dead or alive from under the debris of the collapsed structure by rescue personnel since Saturday when the mishap occurred, he said.
Meanwhile, another official, who did not want to be named, said it was feared that another 20-25 persons could have been trapped under the debris, even as multi-agency rescue efforts including the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) were on in full swing.
Protesting workers took to the street refusing to pick up garbage in the area and instead spread rotting garbage across the roads.
Best of Express