The Mumbai Police Crime Branch is expected to file its chargesheet in the Preeti Rathi acid attack and murder case next week. DCP (detection) Ambadas Pote said, “We are finalising the draft of the chargesheet. It will be submitted in the sessions Court on April,10. Special public prosecutor Ujjawal Nikam is going through the details of the chargesheet.”
On May 1, 2013, a man flung sulphuric acid at 25-year-old Delhi native Preeti on Bandra Terminus minutes after she alighted with her family from the Garib Rath. Rathi was to join the Naval Hospital INHS Asvini in Colaba.
She was treated at Masina Hospital in Byculla, and shifted to Bombay Hospital after 17 days. She died on June 1.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The Government Railway Police (GRP), which first investigated the case, arrested Pawankumar Gahalon from Haryana. He was released on bail last year after the police could find no evidence of his involvement. Following a petition from Preeti’s father Amarsingh Rathi, the Bombay High Court instructed the Crime Branch to take over the probe in December last year.
In January, the Crime Branch arrested Preeti’s neighbour, Ankur Panwar (23). A hotel management graduate, Ankur had been unemployed early in 2013. The police said his father would constantly compare him with the more successful Preeti. The police said he had borne a grudge against Preeti ever since.