Investigations into a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case allegedly involving former Union Minister Jagdish Tytler will be completed within a month,the CBI told a Delhi court on Thursday.
“We have already examined seven witnesses,including US-based Jasbir Singh. We will complete our investigation within 30 days,” the CBI counsel submitted before additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Rakesh Pandit.
The CBI also filed the status report on its investigation in a sealed cover before the court. Senior Counsel for Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee H S Phoolka submitted that the CBI was directed to further investigate the riots case against Tytler on December 18,2007 by the court which had rejected its closure report. The court fixed the matter for further hearing on February 28.
The CBI earlier told the court that it had examined California-based witness Jasbir Singh in the case. Initially,it had expressed reservations over going to the US to record his statement and had issued notice to Jasbir to come to India.
After the CBI notice,Jasbir,through his son,had then approached the Delhi High Court seeking direction to CBI that his statement be recorded in America as he feared for his life in India.
The High Court had on January 14 disposed off Singh’s application as CBI had already recorded his version in the US by that time.
Singh,who was earlier declared non-traceable by the CBI,had in an affidavit before Nanavati Commission which inquired into the anti-Sikh riots,stated that on November 3,1984 he had overheard Tytler rebuking his men for nominal killing of Sikhs in his constituency.